Monday, July 26, 2010

Newport Beach 2010

This is our third year going to Newport Beach, CA with my family. We had such a fun, relaxing and memorable time.















We drove down to Newport Beach on Sunday night. It was a looonnnggg drive. Jordan couldn't take off work and so I followed my parent's down there. Luckily Caity and Clarah drove down in my car. Clarah helped with the boys and Caity has the best music on her ipod. We listened to Jar of Hearts by Katherine Perry all the way down there. The roads were busy, I am a bad driver, and we had to pull over for a car chase to pass us. It was awesome. We got there at midnight.

On Monday we looked out our windows to see our beautiful view of the ocean- only to find they had put us right next to about 6 dumpsters and a huge laundry operation. That morning I took the boys on walk around the resort. They have mini golf, a huge sandbox, basketball and a playground. We came home and went to our favorite- Ruby's- for lunch. That afternoon we packed up and went to new rooms. It was nice. We were right next to the pools. We went swimming and made pulled pork for dinner. After putting the boys to bed we watched Gone with the Wind. I hadn't seen it since college and I loved it all over again. Of course we couldn't finish it.

Tuesday. Our mornings start to take on the same shape. We wake up, make breakfast and play with the boys a little. Then Jill and I nap our babies. While the babies our napping someone stays back with them while someone goes with the boys to enjoy the resort. The resort is filled with fun activities for kids. Today Caity and Clarah took the boys to make sun catchers. When they came back and the babies woke up we packed up lunch and went to the beach. It was overcast and freezing for our Vegas blood. We stayed for several hours. Jill was the only one to brave the waves. We came home and jumped in the hot tub. That evening my parents went out to dinner and we made (read: burned) grilled cheese, got the boys to bed, and watched part 2 of Gone with the Wind. We talked and talked and loved the movie. And stuffed ourselves with cookies.

Wednesday. Disneyland. We were not going to go. Then my friend could get me in for free. Then my parents found a deal through the resort and it shaped up to be a great day. Very busy, but low expectations since it was summer. I figured we got about a ride an hour. My favorite was Nemo and Bugs Life Land. So much fun with the boys. My mom worked soooo hard to try and get us into the new World of Colors show in Ca. Adventure. She went early, stood in long lines and got us all picnic lunches. I was sure it would not be worth it. Of course it was AMAZING. Really my favorite part of the trip. Picture the Bellagio fountains, put with colorful lights, great Disney music, images of favorite Disney scenes, and fire. Fantastic. I had to wake Jensen up and he loved it. We got home at midnight.

Thursday. At this point I am thinking the trip cannot get any better. I have tons of help, good boys (most of the time), and great food/accommodations.  We had a little Disney hangover on this morning. We slept in and relaxed all morning. Mom made a great breakfast. Clarah and I took the boys to paint a cool football piggy bank for their room. Drew fell in the stinkiest mud ever. It was oily and nasty. My parents went out to lunch with the girls and Jill and I stayed home, ate pizza and watched Sweet Home Alabama. That afternoon we piled in the cars to go see Despicable Me. I chose a mall that was far away because I like it. It took us a while to get there and we ended up having to see the movie in 3D. It really enjoyed the movie and it was worth the extra money to see it in 3D. We got home a little late. The boys had cereal for dinner and Mom and Dad went and got us Baja Fresh. Nick came in that night.

Friday. I packed a bunch of different types of toys for the boys to play with. It was such a great idea. Whenever we had down time I would pull something out for them to play with. It helped keep them quiet while adults planned/talked/ ate.... It was also nice to have 2 rooms. One was the adult room (my parents and  Caity and Clarah stayed in that one.) The other room was where Jill and I stayed. Each room had 2 bedrooms and bathrooms. I could split the boys up to keep them quiet while babies were napping. This morning Dad and the girls took my boys to the pool. It was so nice. I got my laundry folded and stole a book from the girls to read. (nice) This afternoon we packed up and went to Huntington Beach. It was the best of the 3 beaches we went to. Jill said a somewhat sacrilegious prayer and the sun came out. It was funny and beautiful. We rented a huge bike and rode to Balboa. It was soooo much fun. The boys loved it. We got Hawaiian ice and Balboa bars. So good. We spent the afternoon in the sun and waves- it was invigorating. We came home put the babies in bed and Dad took us out to dinner. It was also very fun. Mom was so nice to stay back and put my boys to bed and listen for babies. After a walk about the mall we ended up at CPK. They brought us out the best looking spinach artichoke pizza. We were starving and about to dig in when the waiter whisked it away telling us we hadn't ordered that one- it was for another party. Darn. Our pizza was still really good, but I want to go back for that one. We stopped by Red Robin for shakes. I can't remember what we did after that. I am starting to get pretty tired at this point. Wesley is demanding. He won't go to anyone but me and Clarah and he isn't sleeping great at night. I still love him.

Saturday. What did we do that morning? My boys probably started throwing some punches. I might have pulled Jensen into our room to play with Lego's and Nick joined the fatherless boy to build towers with him. That afternoon we went to Laguna. It had really fun shopping. I had never been before and loved it. Luckily my mom drove. I guess I got in enough driving fixes throughout the week that she didn't trust me to find parking. It was a good thing since Laguna was filled with cops. We went to a fun beach with a playground and saw some huge waves (and hot lifegaurds...for Caity and Clarah to stare at)Jensen made a volcano sand castle. For some reason he is fascinated/terrified of them. I tell him the weather man will warn us if there is volcanic activity near our house- he doesn't believe me. Finally I told him that if I heard or saw a volcano I pick him up and run away so fast that the volcano wouldn't get us. In fact a police man would drive us away in his car with the sirens on- just to keep us safe. That night my mom made a great lasagna dinner. I packed up to go home. 


Sunday. My mom drove my car home and I messed with the boys. I had to go to the bathroom really bad after drinking 2 cokes and a water bottle. I guessed I deserved it because one of the cokes was for my mom....to help her stay awake. I talked her ear off instead. As we got closer to home the boys started chanting Dad Dad Dad really loud. They ran in the house only to find it sparkling clean and Dad at church. It was delightful. Of course I tried to nap them, but they would not. Jordan put them to bed early. It was soooo nice to have his help hand. We snuggled down to watch Mad Men and So you think you can Dance. I fell asleep before they started. 


see last year at newport beach and the year before that here

4 comments:

Rachel said...

So, your post was so descriptive that I felt like I was on vacation with you....but when I finished reading it was back to reality--realizing the closest beaches to me are like 12+ hour drive away and covered with oil...lovely.

Anyway, what a fun little getaway for you. And, it's nice you had your family to help you out with your boys while you were there too--too bad Jordan wasn't able to be with you there...hopefully he got in all his long hours of working while you were gone. ;)

Shantelle said...

wow, emily, you are one brave momma! A week alone on vacation. Sounds like it worked out well and you had soo much fun!

Humes Family said...

Awesome vacation!! Eric and I have been talking about going down to Newport, now I really desire to get down there soon :)

Allison said...

Sounds like a fabulous time! How fun to go with all your family too :)