Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Short Story

I was sleeping peacefully in bed when I heard Jensen start crying. He never wakes up- there was obviously something scary going on-so I wake up Jordan. He grumbles into Jensen's room and tries to calm him down. I fall back to sleep and wake up to hear both kids sreaming and Jordan fast asleep beside me. Thinking I could handle this I get up to turn on our closet light when.....AGHHHHHHHHH I stepped on a live cockroach. It was running around wildly in fear- like I wish I could have. Jordan jumps out of bed ready to grab the gun that he doesn't have and I calm him down with the news that there is a cockroach under my robe. He kills it with scrubbing bubbles and then we go in to check on the boys. As I slip into bed I lean over to look at the clock...12:45. What? I could have sworn it was later than that.

1. Our house is clean. My brother-in-law is a pest guy and he sprays regularly.
2. I screamed at a pecan on the kitchen floor this morning- they look like bugs...and I didn't have my glasses on.
3. I need to go pick up some clothes on our bedroom floor and wonder if there are more roaches? Ehhh... I didn't really want to pick up those clothes anyway.
4. I have never been so itchy.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Good luck with the bug situation. That is not fun at all! The thing about bugs is no matter how much you spray, set traps, etc. they always seem to find their way into your house where you don't want them. Down south here we also have brown recluse spiders (and we have roaches too--yuck!) Anyway, these spiders freak me out way more than a roach (trust me, that is saying a lot). I've have never seen a brown recluse and I hope I never do. But I know they are probably lurking around here somewhere. AHH...I'm giving myself the creeps now. (You'll know why if you ever google about these spiders. But warning it might gross you out!) Anyway, at least you don't have to worry about them b/c they are only in the midwest/southern states... I'm also impressed by the use of scrubbing bubbles. I never knew that it could double as a bug killer! Smart thinking!

Camille said...

you are so funny. i love reading your blog. isn't it amazing what finding one bug can do to you? We need to chat soon.

Kimberly said...

That is bad. That's all I can say, bad, bad.

Me said...

Woah! Creepy!!

Kylee said...

That is hilarious! Although, I don't think it would be as funny if it happened to me at 12:45 at night. I know what you mean about feeling itchy and now thinking they are everywhere. That is what I lived with on my mission, roaches were EVERYWHERE!!

Ken and Amy said...

Don't worry...you're not the only one who screams when they see a cockroach! Thank goodness they don't exist in CO.

Tayla said...

Yeah, I would be paranoid and itchy too! My mom said her bug man came, and the next day she had 16 dead cockroaches on her front porch! They weren't anywhere else, but still! Yuck! Poor Max came face to face with a huge black beetle yesterday. He was climbing up the steps in the garage to the house, and it was right there on the top step. He started to scream so loud. It was funny and sad all at the same time. I told him I would have screamed too! :)

Tayla said...

Oh, and about little pools ... we have the small plastic ones and Max loves them. It is just enough water to play in and put all his toys in and there isn't much risk of drowning! As long as you keep an eye on them, they are really nice to have. Our K-Mart has them up here, so you might check there.

breanna said...

ok-so we had our own little roach fiasco last night and i immediatley thought of you! orum is gone, so i was solo on this one.

i had put the kids to bed. renee got up and said "there's a different bug in my room that is not a mosquito" (of course i was wanting to watch my show and how could she see a bug in the dark? so i started to quiz her) i asked where it was and blah blah blah.

so i get up to investigate. i warn her that it has probably crawled away, but i grab a shoe to be safe. it was a big roach! i spotted it as i walked in her doorway. it quicky scurried in the closet, and we are both searching for it. she spotted it in a toy bin, so i pulled it out and got it! she went to get some toilet paper while i made sure it didn't come back to life.

in the meantime, i think i feel something on my ankle (i'm kneeling on the floor--i figured i was just being paranoid and it was probably just the ribbon from my pajama pants, but i looked anway) there was a huge roach on my foot!so i jumped up and of course lost sight of the roach. we then had a formal search party with lights on, a few minutes later they both swam throught the sewer lines. well, maybe not so much swam since they were dead, but they were there. this was for sure my worst roach experiece yet.

you do know that they can fly don't you? i've witnessed it!