Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving.

My mom has a great park in her neighborhood that has a huge sandbox. We love to visit it because Jensen can ride is bike there and Jensen also loves to build sand castles. How does this relate to Thanksgiving? Well, we went to Newport Beach with most of my family (from the friday before to the friday after the holiday). We stayed in these beautiful condos that overlooked the ocean. More than the nice accomodations, I loved how the place had a ton of stuff for kids to do. Many an afternoon I would walk down to their huge sandbox full of beach toys and soft sand to let the boys play while I tried to read Jane Eyre. The weather was perfect and the ocean breeze captivating.

We arrived Friday night and on Saturday more family met up with us. We spent most of the weekend relaxing, talking and catching up with each other.

All of Jensen's dreams coming true: a sandbox full of toys.

Sunday we went to church and to visit the beautiful Newport Beach Temple.


Monday we braved Disneyland. Now Jordan was not able to come down until Tuesday, so my family was awsome in helping out with the boys. I do believe we chose the busiest day in history to visit the park. Luckily, we took advise from my older sister to visit the kiddie rides first thing in the morning and then get fast passes for the more adult rides. (I really was amazed that Jensen could go on so many rides. He went on Splash Mt. and on Thunder Mt. railroad. Andrew even got to ride Pirates of the Carribean.) We never had to wait in line longer than 20 min.- but even that was a stretch with Andrew. He HATED being held and having to stay in line. Jensen was better, but was very confused as to why we kept on getting on and off rides. After about 3 rides he asked if we were done...ummmm... this is Disneyland we go on rides all day. He has such a funny personality. He doesn't get over excited about stuff. So, I was pumping him up to go on rides (like you are going to fly in Peter Pan... or this ride might tickle your tummy...) but he just had a straight face the entire day. He never got scared, but was never to excited either. He did like the parades etc... Andrew on the other hand was crazy about it all! I was so impressed at how Disneyland goes all out. They managed the crowds well, all the workers were very nice, the christmas parade was great, the "bubble" snow was beautiful and the fireworks were awsome. I can't believe they do that everyday of the year. I guess it really is the happiest place on earth.

Meeting Mickey. (Of course Andrew's diaper started to leak and there was no way I was getting out of line to change it!)



On Tuesday we made a good breakfast in our Condos and then I went to see Twilight with my little sisters. (loved it...maybe it's because I expected it to be horrible and it wasn't too bad.) That night Jordan flew in, my mom put on a great bbq and all of us that could went to the Temple together.

On Wednesday it was a little rainey, but we still had a great time at the beach flying kites. When my kids were trick or treating someone gave them these tiny kites. (weird) BUT it was perfect because they could fly them and it was too cute to see Andrew trying to manage them. (I have given up on him ever looking at the camera...)


When I woke up on Thanksgiving morning I spent a few minutes remembering the various places I have woken up on this day. The first year I was married Jordan and I went to Paris with his parents over Thanksgiving. I have also spent 2 Thanksgivings in Nauvoo. The first with Jordan's cousins and the second with Jill while she was going to BYU Nauvoo. Thanksgiving has possibly become my favorite holiday because there is no pomp to it. (halloween being parties, costumes, candy...christmas being the same... but Thanksgiving is quiet and peacful and you can spend it wherever you want.)

We went to Mimi's Cafe for the actual dinner. It was good, not great. I am so glad that my mom made a true Thanksgiving feast on Saturday. That morning we went around asking each other what our favorite foods were to eat on the day and I couldn't quite remember. I am not a huge fan of turkey or cranberries. BUT I did figure out what I like best about the meal. The smell. As the rolls were rising, the turkey roasting and the pies baking I was flooded with happiness and gratitude for a wonderful family that I love. (I also really really like my mom's homemade stuffing. nothing nasty in it just a good mixture of bread and herbs. yummm...)

A double feature. Who knew Backyardigans and Little Mermaid made for such an enjoyable morning? My family all went home yesterday and it was very nice to sleep in our own beds again.

5 comments:

Tayla said...

Wow! What a great Thanksgiving. That sounds so wonderful! I love Thanksgiving too. I just love to be with family!

Rachel said...

Wow, what a fun Thanksgiving! And how nice to be by the beach! I had heard that Disneyland's busiest time is during the week of Thanksgiving and from the sounds of it you can attest to that! I loved the picture of you and the boys with Mickey. Too funny!

Angelina said...

I'm so jealous! New Port? Disneyland? And all together with your family?! How fun! We spent Thanksgiving with the whole Woodbury family at the Tingey's house. It was really good food and fun to be with family. Grandma even had a little talent show at the end. :)

Coila said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving! Sounds heavenly (well most of it, I'm sure the wet diaper in line wasn't your fave. . ). Bronte on the beach, Disneyland, Thanksgiving with the fame. The Newport Beach Temple looks different than I expected somehow. Different structure than I expected, but I like it.

Kimberly said...

Diapers always leak (or overflow) at bad times. We had ours on a plane over the Gulf of Mexico.
Fun post. I went to the Newport Beach Temple Open House a few years back. It's just a gorgeous place!