Thursday, September 11, 2008

Latest book.

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Loi, the result of a wartime affair between an American soldier and her Vietnamese mother, has been treated with disdain by the others in her village for her entire life. However, Loi's beauty has won her the unwanted attentions of a powerful but cruel older man and her parents have agreed to his request that she marry him. Already in love with kindly Khai, a buffalo herder, Loi escapes to Ho Chi Minh City where she plans to reunite with Khai. However, when Khai doesn't arrive, Loi explores the possibility of immigrating to the United States to search for her father.

They call her an "Amerasian". The main reason I enjoyed this book was because I have never read anything on the subject. About the book the author says, "In writing Song of the Buffalo Boy, I wanted to show how war goes on affecting people's lives many,many years after it is over and how often it is the most innocent- the children and women- who suffer the most." In 1987 the American government started the Amerasian Homecoming Program to help these women and children immigrate. Between 1987-1992 an estimated 81,000 of them came to America.

Then I got to thinking...are they going to have to start a program like this in Iraq? Call me stupid, but I have never thought about all the intricacies of war. A couple nights ago my mother-in-law went to hear a neighbor talk who has spent the last year interviewing Iraq refugees living in Jordan. I wish I could have gone to hear it. I have to agree with my mother-in-law in that most Americans have a limited view of world suffering. It does happen to be September 11, but I could have written this 2 days ago and I would still feel very blessed.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sounds like a great book. I'll add it to my 'to-read' list.

Rachel said...

Sounds like a very interesting book. You should be on goodreads. It's an online book reviewing site. I like it a lot.

Coila said...

That does sound good. It's interesting to me. I was thinking, how this is 9/11 the day our country was attacked and yes, that is horrible and sad, but how we've only been attacked two times by a foreign country. That's pretty remarkable by a lot of other country's standards. I have a friend from Ukraine who thinks most Americans live this charmed life but don't appreciate it. I don't know that it's 100% that simple, although she makes a good point our nation has a very high standard of living. Anyway, I hadn't thought much of that aspect of war either. It's interesting how many things can be effected by it.

Coila said...

PS What is going on with all the huge machinery on the side of your blog?? Awesome!