
I wasn't going to read it. I have two fears in life-one is drowning and two is young people dying of cancer. There was no way I was going to read a book about a young father dying of pancreatic cancer.
Friday Jordan was playing Halo, the kids were in bed, my mom was out of town and my little sister was furiously studying note cards for her next test. The book was haunting me on the table. Of course I would read the first couple pages. It was good- no surprise there- it was sad- no surprise- and I kind of liked it.
Here is why I didn't like it:
If I were dying of cancer I would have a hard time connecting with him.( I even had a hard time connecting with him as it was) I know he didn't write it for that reason, but still. He has accomplished A LOT in life. He is above average in his attitude toward life, his work ethic, and knowledge. Besides having a young family, he can die feeling very satisfied with his life. Most people in his situation can't, and I feel like that would be the hardest on me- feeling personally unfulfilled. He assumes everyone can do everything they want- is this true? I feel like money (and brains) do play a role in dreams.
Here is why I liked it:
It is very reader friendly. He recapped and added to each new chapter keeping everything well organized. He has some great wit and wisdom- a very fast and interesting read. And to his credit- the whole point of the book is about how to fulfill your childhood dreams. (I was just overwhelmed by his!)
This quote made me think of Jordan- "....you're such a good salesman, and if you go work for a company, they're going to use you as a salesman. If you're going to be a salesman, you might as well be selling something worthwhile, like eduation."
Struck a chord with me- "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted"
Reminded me of my dad. Afterall this is his book and he is the most productive and accomplished person I know.- "As I see it, if you work more hours than somebody else, during those hours you learn more about your craft. That can make you more efficient, more able, even happier. Hard work is like compounded interest in the bank. The rewards build faster."
ahh...now I can relax and mop my kitchen floor.
No comments:
Post a Comment