Friday, April 11, 2008

Remember when...

It doesn't happen very often- which is good- but sometimes living in my childhood town brings about reminiscing moments. Like the time I was at "the doctor" for a routine check up and ran into my jr. high/high school crush and his wife. If I had been 16 I would have been mortified. As it was, we passed a friendly wave.

Last night we all went to my siblings band concert. As I glanced at the program I recognized one of the songs. It brought me back. Nimrod, although a beautiful song, had a name that got laughed at. During the song I was entranced with the music and the band. I was once in this band, playing this song. A closer look made me realize that although the faces were different, the teenagers weren't. There was still the semi-high drummer, the cauky trumpet, the nerdy skinny clarinet guy, the shy flutes and the mexican saxaphone player (I don't know why).


Here's a link to Nimrod. Played by a random orchestra- in the beginning notice how it goes so slowly it is almost awkward. That is how I remember it. Beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE&feature=related

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a pretty song! "Doctor" check-up or baby doctor - do you have some news??

Jordan and Emily said...

No... it was just after I finished nursing Andrew to get on... well I am trying to keep this blog g-rated. Anyway, I am coming to Dallas in a few weeks. I guess I will leave a comment on your blog with more details.

Rachel said...

I think that we played that song in my high school band as well. I do like that song a lot. I know what you mean about the sterotypical band members...although I don't recall having a Mexican saxophonist in our band...but then again you know all about the size of my high school. I'm trying to think--actually, I don't think we even had one in the entire school--go figure.

Me said...

Now I'm curious why your comment would have made your blog not G-rated! lol